“The only difference between men and boys is the price of their toys,” as the old saying goes, and while I’d like to argue that fact, I am a big fan of my gadgets. We live in an era in which there’s always something new and cool that makes our lives easier and impresses our buddies. While new household gadgets range from ordinary to extraordinary—and some will even leave you scratching your head—there are a few gadgets that every man should have in his home.
- Amazon Echo. The Amazon Echo is an absolute must-have for every house; you may even want more than one. This smart hub can control other intelligent features in your home, keep you up to date on news and weather, and even play music. Having at least one Echo in the house is convenient for everyday life and makes it easy to set the mood for any occasion.
- Nest Thermostat. The Nest Thermostat is every dude’s dream. It’s a fully programmable smart thermostat that you can control from your phone or even your Echo. You don’t need to worry about managing it too much because it learns the temperatures you like and the times of days you want them and adjusts itself. Not only does this keep your home perpetually comfortable, it also saves you money in the process.
- Air Fryer. Many people are confused as to what an air fryer is, but to be honest, it’s more like an oven than a traditional fryer. These handy machines can be used for family dinners but they’re great for bachelors too. They’re perfect for healthily preparing traditionally fried foods, but they can cook almost anything, including a perfectly prepared steak. Air fryers can even be used as a healthier alternative to microwaves, and they take up very little space.
- Pee Light. There’s nothing worse than having to find the light switch when you’re half asleep and looking to pee in the middle of the night. You know that if you miss, you’re going to clean it up yourself and still probably get an earful from the Mrs. That’s no longer a problem when you get yourself a motion activated toilet bowl light. Now you know exactly where to aim and even have a little backlight for when you head back toward your bed.
- 4k Projector and Streaming Device. Who needs a curved UHD TV when you could have an entire UDH wall? Projectors are the new TVs for anyone who loves movies, and streaming devices are the new Bluray players. Being able to pull up any film on the planet from the comfort of your living room and watch it in a theater-like setting is heaven.
- Phillips Hue Lights. Hue lights should be in every room in your house. Phillips has a family of products including stand-alone lights and light bulbs for traditional fixtures. All of the lights can be controlled right from your smartphone and can be changed into different colors and brightness levels. These lights are perfect for setting the mood for a romantic evening, creating ambiance during a movie, or reflecting your feelings at the moment.
- Air Freshener. Face it guys, we stink, our stuff stinks, and we don’t even realize it half the time. Instead of having to continually walk around your house holding a can of air freshener with a rubber band tied around the handle, get an automatic air freshener to do the job for you. These things are fantastic because they can be set to go off at intervals or as soon as someone walks into a room. It’s 2018 – it’s okay for a dude and his things to smell nice.
- Kegerator. This one speaks for itself; having a few beers in the fridge is cool but having beer on tap is so much cooler. We all know that tap beer is better and when you have it chilled to the perfect temperature it is like pure nectar. Just be aware that your house will become the favorite destination for game day.
- Security Camera. With all of the cool stuff in your house, you’re going to want to protect it. Having a decent security camera that you can monitor from your phone not only keeps your home safe from robbers but alerts you to any problems that could arise from kids, pets, or even a leaky dishwasher. There’s nothing that says king of your castle like being able to survey it from anywhere in the world.
- Robot Vacuum. Who has time to vacuum? You don’t have to when you have a robot maid to do the work for you. Robotic vacuum technology has come a long way since these machines first hit the market and they are pretty good at keeping a floor tidy now. They also make robotic mops for the tile and laminate floors. Now the hardest thing for you to do is empty the machine every once in a while.
It would be silly to go down the line and name all of the wacky gadgets out there that guys should own, but you should know that there’s even a machine out there that will tell you how fresh your eggs are. While a lot of these items are impractical, the ones on this list all have genuine and vital functions in the life of modern man. If you’re missing any of these items, I’d start filling up your wishlist now.