Most guys would want a larger penis if they could get one. In fact, a study that was conducted by the University of Kentucky found that nearly half of men wish their penises were longer. If you’re one of them, you might be tempted by those “penis enlargement” products, supplements, or procedures, but you need to be informed before you make any big decisions.
- Do they ever work? The short answer is no, so hold onto your money instead of wasting it. To give you a reason why penis enlargement can’t live up to its claims, we need a quick biology lesson. When you get an erection, erectile tissue in your penis fills with blood. This enables you to stay hard. It’s really this tissue that determines the size of your erection and it can’t be easily changed with a so-called miracle pill or product that promises to make your penis larger. When it comes to penises, you’re pretty much stuck with what you got at birth!
- Some products can trick you into thinking they work. It’s not because you’re too hopeful, it’s because some of these products seem to make sense in how they work. As explained by Larry Lipshultz, M.D., urology advisor to Men’s Health, a product that claims to make your penis bigger will boost blood flow to this sexual organ. By doing this, it can give you the impression that it’s making your penis bigger because it’s making you get an erection faster, but it’s not actually adjusting your penis size.
- A vacuum pump might help, but only temporarily. This is a product that pulls more blood into the penis so that it swells up. It can make the penis appear bigger but it’s only a temporary effect. In fact, if you use a penis pump too regularly because you love the results so much, it can actually harm the delicate tissue in your penis. The result? You’ll have weaker erections.
- Is it worth an extra inch? There’s a method known as stretching that aims to increase penis size. What it entails is placing a device on the penis and creating tension on it to stretch it. Although a few studies have found that this method can increase penis length by approximately an inch or so, it’s not known if it’s safe. More testing will have to be done. And, really, is it worth going through all that for an extra inch that a woman won’t even notice in the sack?
- What about surgery? If you think surgery could help to increase the size of your penis in a permanent way, tread really carefully. An Italian study found that surgical treatments to increase penis size are filled with a high complication risk and unwanted outcomes that can leave patients really miserable and filled with regret. In fact, penis enlargement surgery has been linked to side-effects such as nerve damage, scarring, infections, and a penis size that’s actually shorter than what men started with before the surgery!
- Just because something seems scientific, it doesn’t mean it is. Many of these products that promise to enlarge your penis might seem to be really knowledgeable and scientific. But, it’s worth pointing out that these supplements and pills don’t need approval from the Food and Drug Administration, which means that their manufacturers don’t have to prove that they’re effective or safe. Yikes. Avoid them because you don’t know what they could do to harm your penis or health in general.
- There are mixed results with Botox. The use of Botox injections is known for eliminating frown lines and wrinkles, but it’s being studied for use in penile enlargement. According to a study published in The Journal Of Sexual Medicine, medical doctors found that Botox could sometimes treat “hyperactive retraction reflex” of the penis. This is when men experience shrinkage of their penis when they’re cold and stressed, much more than other guys. The study found that giving men four injections of botox didn’t help all the men: 30% of them had no effect whatsoever. Even if it did work for the others, the point is that this didn’t actually enlarge the men’s penises, it just helped to prevent them from getting smaller in certain situations.