There’s that old cliche in movies and TV about how a woman leaving a toothbrush at your place signifies the death of your single life and the start of a serious relationship. Yet, when you think about it, any self-respecting person would want to wake up and brush their teeth after spending the night somewhere. Just because the woman you’re sleeping with wants to practice good hygiene doesn’t always mean she wants to jump into a relationship with you.
If you think about it, keeping certain things in your bathroom that your lady friend can use after waking up from a fun night is a pretty cool move on your part. In fact, it might be one of the reasons why she wants to have a repeat visit. Here’s what you should keep in your bathroom for the woman (or women) in your life:
- Dental products. Forget about the toothbrush cliche. Keeping extras in your bathroom is a good move. Maybe you and your date went to dinner and drinks before coming back to your place and she wants fresh breath before things get more intimate between you two. Or, when she wakes up in the morning, she wants to do the same before work. Keep your bathroom stocked with toothbrushes, mouthwash, and dental floss even if you don’t necessarily use all those things yourself (even though you definitely should.)
- Makeup remover. This should seem like an obvious one but it didn’t occur to me until a close friend brought it up. If a woman is spending the night, she doesn’t want to wake up the next morning with smeared makeup. Apparently, that’s just not a fun feeling. Keep some makeup removal wipes in your cabinet. She’ll be impressed and more important, she’ll be happy that you made the effort.
- Mild soap. You might be partial to liquid soap or some kind of pine-tree scented body wash, but you should keep some bars of mild soap around for your lady friend. Chances are, you won’t know the kind of face washes she normally uses at her place, but mild soap that won’t irritate skin—something like Aveeno or Jergens brand—is perfect for when she wants to wash her face before bed.
- A hairbrush. This one would likely apply if you’re only seeing one woman. Obviously, you’re not going to keep a community hairbrush in your bathroom for all your sexual partners. That being said, a hairbrush is a great call if your dating someone who stays over at your place a lot. Even if you don’t have a need for one yourself, chances are she’ll want to brush her hair when she wakes up in the morning.
- A trash can. Please tell me you have one of these in your bathroom—not just for when women come over but for your own personal use. It’s not rocket science. Keeping a trash can in your bathroom is both convenient and helps keep the space cleaner. We don’t need to get into the weeds of why women will appreciate this, but it’s certainly an important thing to have no matter what. If nothing else, it gives off the illusion that you care about cleanliness.
- Towels. Multiple towels. This isn’t your college dorm, dude. You can’t get away with having one towel that you likely don’t wash nearly as much as you should. You’ve seen those towel sets at Target or Walmart, right? The ones that come with a bath towel, a hand towel, and maybe a washcloth? Well, buy a couple of those. If a woman stays over, she should have a towel she can use to dry off after a shower, one she can use to dry her hands, and something to wash her face with. Also, you should seriously have those things for yourself if you don’t already.
- Air freshener. Here’s the no-brainer of this list. It’s a bathroom. Keep it smelling fresh. There are endless products that can accomplish this. If you want to, spend the money on some nice soy candles. They last a long time and make any room smell wonderful. Otherwise, just grab some air spray or even one of those plug-in air fresheners. This is so important. I doubt there’s a bigger apartment-based turnoff than a bad-smelling bathroom.
Seriously guys, take this list to heart. If you have all these things in your bathroom already, congratulations, because you’re way ahead of the curve. If you have none of these, get to the store as soon as possible. Even if you’re not expecting a woman to come over anytime soon, you never know what will happen on a given night. You should always be prepared. It’s simply another of the many, many ways you should show your respect for a woman. She’ll absolutely appreciate you for it.